With the products and services they offer, GE works to help you solve your operational challenges while gaining a competitive advantage. GE is making the Industrial Internet real so you can optimize your equipment performance and ensure reliability through connected machines, data, insights and people. As a leading provider of automation and controls technology, GE’s offering focuses on three primary businesses included software and services, control and communications systems, and defense and aerospace embedded computing.
In November 2015, GE acquired Alstom’s energy businesses and combined that with GE Intelligent Platforms to form what is now called GE Automation & Controls. This acquisition brings to GE the industry expertise and leadership of Alstom, who has been providing leading solutions and services for existing and new power plant projects and automation systems for more than 40 years. Combine that expertise with GE’s expertise in creating highly effective automation control systems that are integrated with the Industrial Internet, and you have a leading provider of automation and controls solutions.
- material management
- information management
- processing operations
- packaging operations
- plant operations
- information management
- mission control
- flight control
- image processing
- sensor processing
- sensor management
- vehicle management
- 3G/4G wireless applications
- VoIP and enterprise communications
- IPTV and cable modem termination systems
- IP wireless/wireline gateways
- processing and brewhouse management solutions
- ECO solutions
- packaging and warehouse
- plant wide integration
- unified programming environment
- motion control and servo systems
- logic control and operator interface
- land and marine seismic survey
- land and offshore drilling
- production and monitoring
- transport, storage and processing
- electrical transmission and distribution
- wind form
- PV-concentrated solar
- raw material intelligence
- track and trace delivered
- real-time HACCP procedural control
- consistent quality by design
- proactive brand protection
GE’s Industrial Internet Control Systems offer customers improved performance, increased uptime, lower total cost of ownership, and less risk. They do this by moving machine data to the enterprise level, ensuring mission critical systems stay up and running, visualizing and running processes with state-of-the-art operator interfaces, and taking advantage of the most up to date functional and process safety systems. All of GE’s control systems, from controllers to I/O, are standardized on PROFINET which connects the controller to the cloud. Control system technologies and availability have much higher demands and expectations today than they once did. PROFINET makes GE’s control systems intuitive and easy to understand, thus providing customers with a higher level of availability and less of a learning curve to be able to develop and maintain their own systems.
GE’s control systems include:
- Programmable Automation Controllers – PACSystems RX3i Controller, PACSystems RXi Controller, VersaMax Controllers
- Distributed I/O – RX3i High Speed I/O, RSTi-EP I/O, RSTi Slice I/O, VersaMax I/O
- Functional & Process Safety – Mark VIeS Safety Management System, PAC8000 SafetyNet
- Distributed Control – Mark Vie
GE’s Proficy automation solutions provide access to accurate, timely production and process data. Using the latest technologies for human machine interface/supervisory control and data acquisition (HMI/SCADA), GE helps customers maximize the power of their information. You will gain the capacity to monitor and control every aspect of your process. That includes visualizing your operations, performing supervisory control, and delivering reliable production data to higher-level analytic applications.
GE’s Proficy HMI/SCADA offering includes:
- GE Cimplicity
- GE iFIX
- GE Mobile
GE offers a line of industrial computers that are fast, rugged, flexible and upgradable. These high-performance computing characteristics are of utmost importance when connecting machines, data and people to the industrial Internet.
What makes GE’s IPCs a top pick in the industry?
- They improve real-time control of operations
- Offer better integration into plant-wide systems
- Result in increased uptime
- Enhance productivity
- Lower the total cost of ownership
GE’s IPC offering includes:
- RXi Industrial PC – high performance for computer at the machine
- RXi-EP Industrial PC – ideal for collecting and analyzing data
- RXi-XP Industrial PC – highest performance with expandability
- SCADA Edge IPC – preconfigured with Proficy HMI/SCADA Software
- Marine Industrial PC – DNV Class A certified for marine applications
- RXi-XR Transportation IPC – designed and certified for rail applications
GE operator interfaces allow customers to make faster, smarter decisions based on real-time visualization. GE is phasing out the QuickPanel View and introducing the QuickPanel+, an operator interface for the Industrial Internet. The QuickPanel+ integrates process control, view, and an option to run an embedded data historian machine for improved real-time control and better integration into plant-wide systems.
- Control capability with GE and third-party I/O
- Plug and play connectivity
- Designed for easy installation and configuration by automation engineers
- Fully integrated view, control and data historian
- Multi-touch for optimum responsiveness
- Vivid images for more complete process visualization
- Full functional web browser with multimedia capability
- Email and text alerts based on user-defined settings
- Custom, web-enabled reports and graphs
- Remote diagnostics and security
- Powerful scripting options
- Object-based programming functionality
- Compatibility with third-party components
GE offers rugged COM Express modules that offer substantial durability with a range of performance-per-watt levels. These modules are built to withstand industrial or harsh environments such as those that OEM’s design equipment for. GE’s offering includes the bCOM6-L1700 and bCOM6-L1400 Rugged Com Express Modules.
- High durability
- Wide range of performance-per-watt levels
- Well-suited for OEM’s who want to reduce the overall design cycle and lower validation costs
- Onboard components are highly reliable in demanding conditions
- The processor and memory are soldered to the board for maximum resistance to shock and vibration
Module is protected by its extended mechanical construction which is designed for optional conformal coating
Panel PCs & Monitors
GE’s panel PCs and monitors are flexible and reliable making it easy to connect machine data to the operator level, which delivers actionable data and insight to improve operations and boost productivity. Their product offering includes:
- RXi Displays – These displays combine the latest in touchscreen technology, widescreen display, modern design, enhanced durability and superior power, making them ideal for the factory floor.
- Wolverine III – This high performance, rugged flat-panel computer is ideal for harsh conditions such as those in the oil & gas industry.
- RXi 15” Monitor – This rugged touchscreen monitor is built for harsh industrial conditions and is resistant to dust, oil, water and other non-corrosive materials. It is ideal for extreme environments where temperatures range from -10°C to 60°C.
GE automation software helps to optimize the performance of your operators and harness the power of the Industrial Internet. GE’s software tools which include the Proficy Machine Edition and ControlST Software Suite, minimize development and deployment time and improve profitability while delivering more power to the control point.
Proficy Machine Edition
GE’s Proficy Machine Edition allows customers to increase system productivity and performance, while reducing the programming, configuration, commissioning, monitoring, and maintenance costs. It is an intuitive, machine-level HMI for machine control applications that makes it quick and easy to configure applications while reducing system integration efforts. The Proficy Machine Edition offers an all-inclusive graphics configuration tool and a wide range of PLC communication drivers using PC client/server technology, and provides remote connectivity and thin client support for diagnostic and data monitoring.
The ControlST Software is GE’s most advanced software suite that provides the foundation for the Mark* VIe Control System. This software suite is used to control, monitor and protect everything from turbine-generators to entire plants across a variety of applications such as thermal, oil and gas, wind, nuclear, solar, and hydroelectric power. The ControlST Software includes several high-performance tools:
- Workstation ST* HMI and Historian management software
- ToolboxST* configuration and diagnostic software
- CIMPLICITY* graphics tools
- other packages for efficient plant-wide communications, monitoring, and asset management